Work in Process (WIP) is a Lean Metric describing the number of items within the process boundaries.
To determine WIP
- Count all
- product between process steps
- products being transformed at the moment
- half-finished goods which are stored in the warehouse between processes (intermediate inventories)
- Do not count: raw material, finished goods
Work with WIP to
- Improve your Order Lead Times, Service Level and Cash Flow
- Eliminate waste, e.g. bad quality, motion, waiting, transportation
- Improve the efficiency of direct and indirect processes
Learn more about this topic in our Lean Metrics Online Course.