The term “Gemba” (Japanese for “The actual place”) refers to “Going to where it is actually happening” for analysis and decision making (in contrast to making decisions at the desk in the office).
Gemba is a Lean Management concept and technique that is used in
- Operations to
- ensure all activities focus on the place of value creation,
- monitor and solve problems where they occur,
- thoroughly observe the process to understand production problems and react to them,
- spot opportunities for improvement.
- the Research and Development processes to
- get customer insights and understand product requirements at the place of use,
- understand which properties make production difficult,
- set smart specification limits.
Are you curious to learn more about this topic? Read our Blog Posts about Gemba Walking: