CTQ is a metric that reflects what the process customer wants and that can be measured internally.
- is the deliverable of the “Voice of the Customer” (VOC) tool
- is always a Y metric (output)
- must be measurable
- is defined by the customer and not by the process expert
To translate the Voice of the Customer into CTQs
- organize the information as statements in customer language (cards/ post-it notes)
- group the customer needs into groups (affinity diagram)
- break the information down from customer language to internal measurable characteristics (CTQ-Tree)
Practitioner’s Tip: Be careful – Thinking about CTQs based on such VOC usually results in Xs for the process, which is not a problem, but also not the place yet to be done.