This first phase of a DMAIC Project is all about clearly defining the project. The main deliverable of the Define phase is a clear problem statement including metrics – how do you measure the success of your project? Also, it is helpful to develop a business case and an initial project plan.
Practitioner’s Tip: Since we define the problem here but don’t yet know the root cause, hence a solution, the business case should be stated as an expected gain – not a cost/benefit analysis or a ROI calculation. The project plan is also not cast in stone but will change as you learn more about the problem.
- Clear problem statement including metrics
- Business value of the project
- Project plan (incl. milestones, team members)
- Project Charter
- High-Level Process Map (SIPOC)
- Voice of the Customer (VOC)
- Business Case
- Stakeholder Planning (Communication Planning)
Learn more about this topic in our Lean Six Sigma Basics Online Course (Demo currently not available for Internet Explorer).